Patient Experience: Sharing your experience with us

Your Experience of NHS Services

NHS North Lincolnshire Clinical Commissioning Group welcome feedback, positive or negative, about your experience of local NHS services, as this helps us to improve services for patients.

We need to know if you, your relative or someone you care for, has not received a good service. Please be assured that raising a concern or complaint will not affect your care or treatment in any way.

If you are unhappy with the treatment or service you have received from NHS services, you have the right to make a complaint, have it looked in to and receive a response. 

If you are pleased with one of the services commissioned by the Clinical Commissioning Group or wish to raise a concern, then please let us know by contacting us.

I have concerns I would like to raise, or would like information

You can raise your concerns immediately by speaking with the staff involved in your care. If you prefer, you can contact Patient Relations who may be able to help you resolve your concerns informally, without having to make a formal complaint.

Patient Relations can provide confidential advice and support to help you resolve queries and concerns about your NHS care. Patient Relations can also provide general information about NHS services.

Patient Relations are not able to help with social care complaints, although they can advise you on who to contact.



01652 251125


Patient Relations, Health House, Grange Park Lane, Willerby, East Yorkshire, HU10 6DT


I would like to raise my concerns formally and receive a written response

Who can complain?

Anyone can complain about NHS services or treatment they have received, or if they have been affected by the actions or decisions of an NHS organisation, or primary care practitioner. If you are unable to complain yourself, someone can act on your behalf with your written consent.

How do I make a complaint?

The first stage of the NHS complaints procedure is called ‘local resolution’. Local resolution aims to resolve complaints quickly and as close to the source of the complaint as possible. Your complaint should be made to the NHS organisation who provided the service. If your complaint is about your primary care practitioner (GP Practice, dentist, community pharmacy or optician) you may complain directly to the practice, or contact NHS England. Their details are provided below.

You can make your complaint in writing, by email, or verbally. If you make your complaint verbally, you will be asked to sign and return a written record to ensure that you agree with the contents.

When should I make a complaint?

A complaint should be made within 12 months from the date it occurred or when it came to your attention. In some cases if there is good reason why you could not complain sooner and it is still possible to investigate your complaint, it may be possible to waive the time limit.

What happens if my complaint involves a number of different organisations?

If your complaint involves more than one NHS organisation or the NHS and social care, you only need to make one complaint and you will receive a single, coordinated response.

If any part of the joint complaint relates to a primary care service, (that is a GP Practice, dentist, community pharmacy or optician), the complaint will need to be raised with NHS England – their details are provided below.

Where do I send my complaint?

If your complaint is about a hospital, community or mental health service you should send this to the NHS organisation involved.

If your complaint is about a GP Practice, dentist, community pharmacy or optician would need to be raised with NHS England – their details are provided below.

If your complaint is about a CCG commissioning or funding decision you should send this to:



01652 251005


Patient Experience Manager, NHS North Lincolnshire Clinical Commissioning Group, Health Place, Wrawby Road, Brigg, North Lincolnshire, DN20 8GS


Consent: what you are agreeing to?

Where appropriate the CCG may require access to medical records or other personal information in order to deal with the matter.

Information may be used for other purposes such as monitoring processes and improving service quality. Wherever possible, only anonymous information will be used. If identifiable data is needed for other purposes, then consent will be requested from the person who the information is about.

In some circumstances the CCG may disclose personal information to relevant parties where there is a legal duty or power to do so, for example if information leads us to believe that a child or vulnerable adult is at risk of harm or if a court order requires us to do so. In such circumstances consent may not be sought prior to disclosing the information.

Where you are contacting the service on behalf of another person, consent will be required from the individual concerned, to progress an inquiry.

Should you have any concerns about how your information is to be used, please discuss this with the Patient Experience Manager.



01652 251005


Patient Experience Manager, NHS North Lincolnshire Clinical Commissioning Group, Health Place, Wrawby Road, Brigg, North Lincolnshire, DN20 8GS


What if I don’t want to raise my complaint with the service involved?

Some complainants prefer to send their complaint to the commissioner of NHS services. This is fine, however, the commissioner will consider which organisation is best placed to address your concerns. The health care provider (for example the hospital or district nursing team) will normally be given the opportunity to respond to your complaint.


What if I have a complaint about my GP practice, dentist, pharmacy or optician?

NHS England is the commissioner of primary care services (GP Practice, dentist, community pharmacy or optician). If you have a complaint about these services, please contact NHS England at the address below:



0300 311 22 33


NHS England, PO Box 16738, Redditch, B97 9PT


NHS England


Who can help me in making a complaint?

Independent Complaints Advocacy

If you would like help and support to make your complaint, Cloverleaf Advocacy Services has been appointed to provide the NHS Independent Complaints Advocacy (ICA) Service for residents in North Lincolnshire. This is a totally free and independent service which offers a Self Help Information Pack if you would like to make a complaint yourself, or can offer the support of an experienced Independent Complaints Advocate to support you through the NHS Complaints Process. Contact Cloverleaf Advocacy Services via:



01724 854952


North Lincolnshire Independent Health Complaints Advocacy Service, Cloverleaf Advocacy, Ashby Clinic, Collum Lane, Scunthorpe, North Lincolnshire, DN16 2SZ


Cloverleaf Advocacy


Investigation and Improving Services

When you submit a complaint, it is helpful if you could be clear what you would like to achieve as a result of making your complaint, so that the NHS can try to resolve the matter to your satisfaction.

Your complaint will be fully investigated in a manner that is fair to both complainants and staff. If failings are identified during the investigation, any necessary changes will be made to improve the quality of services. You will also be advised in the written response to your complaint of any service improvements.

What happens if I am unhappy with the response?

We aim to ensure that all complaints are handled well and that appropriate action is taken to resolve a concern. We will do everything that we feel is appropriate in order to try and resolve matters to your satisfaction.

If, however, you remain unhappy after your complaint has been addressed, you can ask the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman (PHSO) to review your complaint. You should do this within twelve months from the date on which the subject matter of the complaint occurred.


Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman (PHSO)

The PHSO can be contacted via:


Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman


0345 015 4033


Millbank Tower, 30 Millbank, Westminster, London SW1P 4QP


Local Healthwatch

Healthwatch North Lincolnshire is the independent voice for the people of North Lincolnshire, helping to shape, challenge and improve local health and social care services.



01724 844986


Healthwatch North Lincolnshire, Unit 36 & 37 Normanby Gateway, Lysaghts Way, Scunthorpe, North Lincolnshire, DN15 9YG


Healthwatch North Lincolnshire